Monday, July 8, 2013

HE Who Laughs...LASTS!

When was the last time you laughed?  No, I don't mean a slight chuckle or a little hee-haw.  I'm talking about an out-n-out hardy, loud and long laugh that puts tears in your eyes and fire in your belly! 

And what is it that makes you laugh?  A cartoon, a joke, a comedian, a memory?

And why all this sudden concern about laughter anyway you ask?

In my constant efforts to shed those nasty hip and thigh bulges I've had since the beginning of time, I happened upon a new plan called "The Digest Diet."  Along with the usual motivation to be positive, think of this as a changing life style, and "if I can do it, you can, too" promise, this regiment requires laughter.  Almost on every page, the words, "don't forget to laugh" appear in bold font.  Since no other diet I ever tried insisted that I laugh many times daily, I decided to explore the reasoning behind this strange directive further.

A plethora of studies have shown that laughter is truly a curative medicine.  It relieves stress, lowers blood pressure, increases good cholesterol, and, in some cases, has been a factor in killing cancer cells.

Laughter can effect brain function as well.  A considerable amount of mental acuity is needed to understand the implications of a joke, interpret the meaning behind a silly cartoon, and translate what is going on in a hilarious film.  Funny how we never even considered what a rigorous workout our minds get simply by laughing.

I don't believe I've ever made a conscious effort to plan to laugh.  I just laugh when I find things to be funny.  To actually set laughter as a top priority in my daily schedule, I would never have imagined it.  But it makes perfect sense. If only to achieve that "feel good" sensation that laughing provides, it definitely is worth my time.  Raising endorphin levels purposefully and continually I raise the health of both my body and my mind immeasurably! And, who knows, I might just slenderize my hips and thighs, too!

Finally, the old adage of "he who laughs last laughs longest " might have a deeper meaning than we realized.  "He Who Laughs...LASTS!" just might be the most powerful incentive to make laughter a repetitive ritual in our daily lives for the rest of our lives however long that may be!

2 comments:

  1. I love to laugh, but alas no Slenderization
    of my hips and thighs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I have to do those insidious leg lifts and hip bumps? But if I do them while laughing perhaps they won't be quite so painful! Thanks for the comment, Mum. Keep on laughing! Flo

      Delete