Monday, March 24, 2014

When Royalty Visits

I've cleaned the house, bathed the dog, and curled my hair.  Yesterday I roasted a turkey, sliced it and am now letting the white meat soak in its own juices.  This morning I'll make a chocolate cream pie and be sure to have a variety of beverages in the refrigerator from which to choose.  Although it's rather cold outside, the sun is shining brilliantly.  Even Mother Nature cooperates when royalty visits.

Prince William and his wife, Kate, are too busy with the new baby to come by any time soon.  And, no, Mr.and Mrs. Obama aren't making an appearance today.  I'm sure none of the gubernatorial candidates in PA will show up either since they're diligently crafting their pie-in-the-sky promises for the upcoming election.

But the folks mentioned above don't hold a candle to the elitists who will grace my humble home today with their presence.  Having my first-born grandson, Brady, and my only-born granddaughter, Brenna come and stay for a day or two is an honor my hubby and I breathlessly hope for and ardently embrace.  I suspect all grandparents feel the same way, yet there are those who either seldomly or tragically never realize such an honor.  For you who are members of this sad group, you have my deepest sympathies.

I've drawn up a tentative agenda of activities for Prince Brady and Princess Brenna.  They include breakfast at Pamela's, a hole-in-the-wall Strip District eatery, that is famous for its unmatched pancakes and crepes. Afterwards they have the option to try out the newly-opened tube sledding track at Kerber's Dairy, a local attraction noted for its ice cream delights as well.

Another choice on my agenda is for them to accompany me to a few of my old childhood haunts.
While doing research for my first ever chapter book, Playing Hooky, which hopefully will be ready for publication next month, I recently went back to my hometown to talk with people I hadn't seen in sixty years and to the places I still remember with great fondness.  Believe it or not, even though change is inevitable, most of what I heard and saw was remarkably untouched by the hands of time.

Taking my grandchildren to these "holy icons" of my past, would mean a great deal to me, and give Brady and Brenna a greater understanding of their royal heritage.  They need to know that they were born into a family whose history is rich in deep commitment to each other and to their religious beliefs.  I also want them to realize that the generations that came before possessed an outstanding work ethic that led them out of the Great Depression whole and unscathed.  By showing them that the men in our family unselfishly fought for our country in World War II, and that my dad died in the steel mills that supplied our forces with the necessary tanks and artillery to ensure a positive national outcome, I hope to impress upon them the fact that they come from a royal line of true heroes.

If we actually do everything on my list, there won't be much time for anything else.  But I believe that it will be time well-spent for both the young and the old, and will have provided all with a wealth of memories fit for royalty.

My hope is that from their visit, Prince Brady and Princess Brenna will wear their family crowns with pride. And, even more importantly, as they mature, that they will emulate those kingly qualities their ancestors reflected throughout their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment