Monday, June 11, 2018

Longing For 'Home'

Lately I've had this longing lying just below the surface of my consciousness. I've been unsettled for some time and yet couldn't identify the cause. After trying very hard to discover why, I decided if I left it alone eventually it would reveal itself or subside.

In the wee hours of today, I finally realized what had been nagging me for months, I was longing for 'home.' Now I'm not talking about my family residence, nor am I referring to heaven, but where I truly believe all mankind begins its earthly journey, the ocean.

I clearly remember the very first time I stood on the shores of the Atlantic. The ocean's vastness was inexplicably awesome, yet a strange familiarity like I'd been there before washed over me. Being only twenty-two at the time, I had no clue as to the significance of this oddity. As I matured physically, mentally, and most importantly, spiritually, I began to contemplate the origins of humanity and the Life Force that was directly responsible for mankind's existence. Since water is the key element in the survival of all living things, years later I concluded everything must have had its beginnings in the sea. The ocean is our ancestral 'home', I believed it then, I believe it now.

I haven't walked along the shoreline in a few years, nor have I sat alone watching the sunrise. I miss the sounds connected with the beach at daybreak, the waves roaring in the distance, the cawing of sea gulls flying overhead, the peaceful silence that speaks volumes to me. It is during these times that my body is replenished with energetic vitality, my mind, with inspirational creativity, and my spirit, with renewed love for all.

This summer's schedule is packed with occasions and activities that leave little time for a quick jaunt to Myrtle or Ocean City, and in September, since my hubby and I are going to Switzerland to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary, the earliest I could satisfy this unfulfilled yearning would be sometime in October. I've never been at the ocean in the fall (or have I?), and have always thought it would be a perfect time to go 'home'...no crowds, plenty of cool ocean breezes and wondrous sunsets.

Currently I haven't come up with a plan, but like most things in life, if something absolutely needs to happen undoubtedly it will whether by design or by default. The possibility of returning 'home' in the near future calms my restlessness, putting a smile on my face and hope in my heart!

Blessings and Peace!




No comments:

Post a Comment