Monday, October 23, 2017

'DANCING MAN'

Upon waking a few days ago, from the moment I opened my eyes, the song, 'I Hope You Dance,' by Lee Ann Womack, was rolling around in my head. No clue why, but since it's one of my all-time favorites, I continued to press the replay button, so to speak. I believe the lyrics to be a prayer, one reminding us of a powerful and loving God, and reinforcing the fact that we are free to make choices that hopefully have positive impacts throughout our lives. I've included the first four verses and the refrain here for your thoughtful consideration, and I've also taken the liberty to bold those lines that are most meaningful to me:

I HOPE YOU DANCE
sung by Lee Ann Womack
written by Tia M. Sillers, Mark Daniel Sanders


I hope you never lose your sense of wonder
You get your fill to eat but always keep that hunger
May you never take one single breath for granted
God forbid love ever leave you empty-handed

I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean
Whenever one door closes I hope one more opens
Promise me that you'll give faith a fighting chance
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance

I hope you dance
I hope you dance


I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance
Never settle for the path of least resistance
Living might mean taking chances but they're worth taking
Lovin' might be a mistake but it's worth making

Don't let some hell-bent heart leave you bitter
When you come close to selling out reconsider
Give the heavens above more than just a passing glance
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance
I hope you dance
(Time is a wheel in constant motion always)
I hope you dance
(Rolling us along)
I hope you dance
(Tell me who wants to look back on their years and wonder)
I hope you dance
(Where those years have gone)

I hope you still feel small...
http://www.songlyrics.com/lee-ann-womack/i-hope-you-dance-lyrics/

You might wonder why I titled this post, 'Dancing Man' since to this point I've made no reference to it. So.....

After drinking my morning coffee and reading the paper, as usual I checked the list of emails I receive daily on Yahoo. To my pleasant surprise, I spied one from Artsonia, a company conducting a fundraiser for my grandson's school,  referring to Kaden's new artwork, 'Dancing Man!'  I Hope You Dance, Dancing Man, coupled together in the space of 30 minutes on the same day!!!!!! How freakin wild is that?


After studying Keith Haring's simplistic, monochromatic works , Kaden and his group expressed their ideas in this interesting piece depicting joy and movement! 


Check out Kaden5562's artwork on Artsonia, the largest student art museum on the web. Don't forget to join the fan club and leave a comment on the website.
ARTSONIA.COM

I don't believe Kaden has ever heard Lee Ann Womack's song before, but I think his group captured the true essence of its meaning in this delightful form. In 'Dancing Man's' simplicity, we can see that no matter what adversities we are currently facing,                 'When you come close to selling out reconsider
                                    Give the heavens above more than just a passing glance
                                    And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance

                                    I hope you dance...'


Young children have this innate ability to seek positive solutions for whatever life throws at them. Yes, they may kick and scream when a situation isn't self-serving, but they are quick to reconsider their options, and  most often, choose to dance!

I pray that your reflection on 'I Hope You Dance' and your careful study of these ten and eleven-year-olds' portrayal of life, 'Dancing Man' lift the Spirit within you and prompt you to celebrate every moment you've been given. Blessings and Peace!










No comments:

Post a Comment